News & Events
Upcoming Events at the Village Hall
- Helen of Brighton Boogie, who runs very popular vintage dance classes, starts another 5 week course on February 27th, Tuesday evenings 7.30pm to 8.30pm. For more details please contact Helen on email@example.com .
- Jo McCormick, a qualified meditation teacher, accredited through the British School of Meditation, is offering a new 5 week introduction to meditation course Thursday evenings, 7.30pm to 9pm, from 7th March 2018 until 12th April (no practise on 22nd March). The 5 weeks will cost £50 per person. Whether you are new to meditating or have a regular practice, this course will take you on a journey through meditation, from breathing meditations, mindfulness, meditation on the move and understanding some of the many benefits. It will help you to develop and maintain a practice of your own over time, if you choose. Just 10 minutes a day is all you need to obtain the benefits of meditation, no special equipment, just yourself and a little time. If you would like to sign up or if you are curious to find out more Jo would love to hear from you. Please email Jo on firstname.lastname@example.org or call her mobile 07762787584.
- We've had to change the date of our professionally run and very enjoyable Race Night fund raiser to 21st April 2018. The price per person of £12.50 includes 8 races, a £1 bet on the first race, a delicious buffet supper and a glass of wine. If you enjoy the thrills of racing, don't miss this event and bring your family, friends and teams along. For more information and tickets email Katherine on email@example.com.
- Medeana Findlay's Pilates classes are so popular that she has started a second class on a trial basis for 6 weeks from 4th January. The new class runs from 8.30am to 9.25am and the existing class from 9.30am to 10.25am, both on Thursday mornings. Visitors to the Village Hall Open Day in March will have met Medeana who had a stall to introduce her classes and gauge interest. Email Medeana on firstname.lastname@example.org to find out full details.
- Isfield Art Group: is a very friendly and supportive group of local amateur artists who meet every Thursday 2pm to 4pm at the Village Hall. We decide ourselves what each week's subject will be, we have visiting artists running master classes for us from time to time, if any of us want to pursue a particular medium or subject we can, and we welcome anyone who wants to join us. Contact Katherine by email on email@example.com if you'd like to join in.
- Kathleen Cole dance teaching for children is based on NATD Contemporary Dance technique in a positive, relaxed atmosphere, with lots of fun built in. The principal is Hannah Kathleen Cole, who has been classically trained with the RAD method.She was also a member of The Young Place, home of London Contemporary Dance School, where she gained a wealth of experience as a performer and choreographer. Miss Hannah went on to train at The London Stage School in advanced ballet, tap and modern jazz. She taught in primary schools offering dance and performing arts tuition and then gained a Diploma in Contemporary Dance. She now enjoys combining these areas of expertise to offer dance classes to young people. Working with Miss Hannah is Miss Jennie, an experienced secondary school teacher and leader in English and the performing arts. Miss Jennie has worked in a variety of schools including an independent school where she was head of department for English and drama. Miss Jennie enjoys developing children's skills and confidence through the performing arts. There will be opportunities for dancers to perform and prepare for exams if they wish, but this is optional. Classes are held on Sunday mornings in Isfield Village Hall, 10am to 11am. Please email Hannah on firstname.lastname@example.org to book your free taster class.
- Isfield Wine Club which has built up a strong following, warmly welcomes new members. Meetings, held every other month, are relaxed and unpretentious - the next meeting is on Friday 16th March 2018, 7.30pm to 9pm; and the subject will be announced in advance. Contact Keith Taylor for more details and to book on 01825 749778.
- Andrea Kocache of Crowborough Tai Chi, a listed instructor with the Tai Chi Union of Great Britain, is running Monday afternoon sessions, 2-3pm. Please note that Andrea is happy for anyone to start Tai Chi with her at any time, integration guaranteed; there is no 'course' start date. In addition, Andrea informs us that Tai Chi is an internal art rooted in the healing, meditative and martial traditions of China which integrates relaxation, meditation, breathing and postural techniques, helps to develop/regain balance, promotes harmonious movement, improves suppleness of joints and muscles, improves coordination skill and stimulates the mind. Please register your interest by contacting Andrea on 01892 654585 or by email and take a look at the website.
- Isfield Dancing Club holds regular twice a month Wednesday evening sessions, 8-10pm, at the Village Hall, with occasional special event nights. This is a very enjoyable, relaxed evening and a great opportunity to learn and display your dancing skills. For more details please contact Ron Levett on 01825 750404.
Isfield Village Hall - Part-time Cleaner/Caretaker Vacancy
Julie Hall, who has been our cleaner/caretaker for many years, has left as she has a full-time job with a local preschool. Margaret Levett has stepped in to take care of cleaning while we are continue to seek a new part-time cleaner/caretaker. Please see the attached for details of the job and how to apply, but note that the closing date in December no longer applies.
'The Friends of Isfield Village Hall'
The closure of Isfield Preschool after 40 years in the village was a sad loss to the community which impacted Isfield Village Hall severely; Preschool's subsidised hiring fees amounted to approximately 40% of our income in recent years. This was a huge blow, but we are financially stable and expect to be able to meet our day-to-day running costs with the ongoing support of our users, by continuing to run our own events, and by monitoring our expenditure even more closely, because we have:
- Refurbished the hall completely last August; this was badly needed, is a great success and should last a good few years, keeping maintenance costs down,
- Increased our revenue by diversifying over the past three years; by undertaking extensive marketing to ascertain which activities would be successful and to promote them (as far as budgets allow) and by finding and nurturing providers (e.g. Wine Club, Art Group, Yoga, Tai Chi, Pilates, Vintage dance classes, Floral workshops etc.) and also by holding our own events (e.g. Frost Fair, Open Day, Race Nights, Film shows).
The Friends of Isfield Village Hall is an important part of our efforts to combat the loss of Preschool's subsidised hire fees as this initiative enables us to build up reserves for regular maintenance costs (e.g. floor, decoration) and to make more improvements in the future (e.g. to the toilets, including a disabled toilet).
The management committee ran a survey in the village to evidence the level of interest in our ideas and ensure viability. We received 55 survey responses which is a tremendous result; thank you to everyone who responded and gave us so many good ideas. 54 responses strongly supported the need for the Village Hall, and 45 stated they would join 'The Friends of Isfield Village Hall.' See the last item on this page to view the survey results.
Accordingly 'The Friends of Isfield Village Hall' was launched on 15th September 2017 by a mail drop throughout the village. We are proud and delighted to report that we have received very strong support from the whole community with many Friends joining and donating to our long term maintenance reserves for which we are very grateful. Friends continue to join, and we very much welcome all new Friends. We plan to hold Friends' events (e.g. private view at Artwave in August, Christmas party in December) and to set up a Friends' Advisory Group to help us involve the wider community in setting Village Hall priorities. To join the Friends please email Katherine on email@example.com to obtain a form.
2017 Village Hall Survey
Please select this link to view the results of the 2017 Village Hall Survey.